Friday, September 17, 2010

In Memoriam: "My Boys"


And as the Fall season arrives, we also have to see another sad departure of a show not worthy of cancellation. "My Boys" on TBS got the news Wednesday of it's demise, but they must have seen it coming.

The season finale on Sunday sure felt like a series finale, but I didn't want to believe it. Yes, it's on TBS. Yes, it was buried in the 10 p.m. time slot on Sundays. And yes, there was too much time lapsed between seasons, so most people lost track of it.

But as a devoted fan, I can say that after four seasons, "My Boys" was in its prime. And I'm heartsick to see it go.

It followed PJ, a female sports writer for the Chicago Sun Times and her group of guy friends. It was great to see a female lead not swooning over guys, talking about babies or fussing about fashion. PJ was down-to-earth and just one of the boys. Her favorite pastimes were sports, having a beer a Crowley's, the local bar, and hosting poker games.

She was a guy's dream.

And Jordana Spiro was able to create a character that both men and woman adored.

PJ may have been the basis of the show, but it was her lovable, goofy guy friends that made the show so easy to watch. Mike, Kenny, Brendan, Bobby (oh Bobby, so adorable), and brother Andy (played by funny man Jim Gaffigan) were all easily relatable to and their friendships seemed effortless. Their quirks offset each other - they were the gang everyone wanted to be a part of.

I admit some basic cable comedies are great (all hail "Modern Family"), but many are not and have been on for way past their prime (ahem, "Two and a Half Men"). Viewers should explore the upper numbers on their televisions. There's funny stuff elsewhere; you just need to give it a chance.

But I digress.

I just hope the actors of "My Boys" go on to bigger and better things because they all deserve it. So here's to "My Boys," an undeserving casualty that deserved at least one more round of drinks.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment