Thursday, August 12, 2010

KISS delivers pure, rock entertainment


You may call them old, outdated, sold-out. I call them rock gods.

This past weekend I had the pleasure to witness one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen. Granted, I'm only 23 years young, but I've seen a few name-brand concerts. (Blondie, check; The Beach Boys, check. Pat Benetar, check; Aerosmith, hopefully someday soon) along with 30 or so odd performances of the indie-alternative-screamo music my heart desires. But now, I can officially check off my list the one-and-only, KISS.

I bought the tickets on a whim - Live Nation was having a $10 ticket day (it pays to be on their e-mail list) and I figured everybody has to see KISS once in their lifetime, right?

Oh, I was so right.

Driving down to the Comcast Center in Mansfield, Mass., I secretly hoped my night would turn into a variation of events resembling those in the movie "Detroit Rock City." Luckily my mom doesn't think KISS is the devil's music. I already had a ticket, so I probably wouldn't be fighting any 10-year-olds for one. And let's face it, I'm no Eddie Furlong - so I knew I was probably in for a mellow ride.

The show had two openers, not nearly resembling any music a super-fan of KISS would enjoy. The Envy and The Academy Is... - both more closely tied to the indie-emo scene, than rock, so the arena was barely half full when we arrived.

Two hours later, the stadium was jam-packed to the brim. When the lights went down, the explosions went off and the spectacle began.

KISS started off the show with "Modern Day Delilah" off their newest CD Sonic Boom, followed by a classic "Cold Gin" after. Throughout the night, a mix of newer tracks - "I'm An Animal," and "Say Yeah" - were intertwined between hits such as the now infamous Dr. Pepper theme, "Calling Dr. Love," along with "Love Gun," and "I Love It Loud." The latter of which featured pop-culture icon/bassist Gene Simmons spewing blood and flying into the rafters to play. After an hour-and-a-half of bright lights, axe guitar, and Gene Simmons' infamous tongue, KISS played out the show to "Detroit Rock City."

But wait! Obviously they weren't going to leave without playing "Rock And Roll All Night," right? Right you are. Rather than come back for one encore performance, KISS played on for another 40 minutes with fan-faves "Beth," "Lick It Up," "Shout It Out Loud," "I Was Made For Lovin' You," " God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You," and of course, "Rock And Roll All Night."

During "I Was Made For Lovin' You," lead singer/rhythm guitarist Paul Stanley took to the air to play on a smaller stage towards the back of the arena. It spun around so he could face the crowd on every-which side. I know...very cool - very cool indeed.

The theme of the KISS tour this year is "Hottest Show on Earth," and it sure was. The energy and spectacle was half the show. It was pure entertainment to the fullest.

And let's not forget about the die-hard KISS troops. Look-alikes from head to toe, families in full-fledged makeup - babies and youngsters included - as well as fans who express their love through the art of tattoos, all are the nicest and most devoted group of people I've ever met.

It's like a giant family reunion. Whether it was your first KISS concert- as it was for me - or, as I was told by one fan who's been going to KISS shows since 1978: Each and every person is there to enjoy the show together, and live by the motto "Rock And Roll All Night."


No comments:

Post a Comment